Couples provide each other with comfort, support, fun and companionship – but distress, frustration and despair in relationships can also be common.
Outside forces, along with natural highs and lows in attraction, energy, mood and other factors can impact a relationship. Counselling can help couples overcome relationship problems that may lead to separation.
Through relationship counselling couples can work through current issues and develop strategies for overcoming relationship difficulties as they occur.
How can relationship counselling help?
You can resolve problems that lead to stress or even separation. Issues that can be dealt with through relationship counselling include:
- Difficulties in communication — this can be as simple as not talking, or as complex as the language and labels used. What you think you’re saying may not be what your partner is hearing.
- Different expectations and values — difference can be good, but it can also be a source of frustration if one partner sees the other as being ‘wrong’.
- Lack of problem-solving skills — when emotions run high, it can be difficult to see the real cause of a problem.
- Inadequate partner support — it can be difficult to establish the right level of ‘give and take’ between you and your partner.
- Crisis — when life is disrupted, providing your partner with support and care and working as a team can be difficult.
Specialised relationship support
Specialised relationship counselling provides a number of advantages:
- Specialist relationship training and experience
- Objective analysis of issues
- No judgement on who is ‘right’ or ‘wrong’
- Understanding and nurturing effective communication patterns
- Able to assist in skill building and coaching
- Other illnesses
- Drugs and alcohol
- Life–changing events
Relationship counselling provides you with an objective, professional viewpoint. In working with you together or one-on-one in a warm, caring environment, a New View psychologist can provide neutral relationship analysis and workable, tailored advice.
For more information on relationship counselling or to book and appointment, contact New View Psychology online or call 1300830687.